Me too! Re: Yum update dependency errors

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Nov 7 12:14:01 UTC 2005

Alex @ Avantel Systems wrote:
> these dependency errors happen fairly often on my system.  Most recent update
> (yum update) on my  FC3 x86_64 installation yielded;
>
> Running Transaction Test
> Finished Transaction Test
> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/tab2space from install of
> kdewebdev-3.4.2-0.fc3.1 conflicts with file from package
> tidy-0.99.0-2.20040916
>   file /usr/bin/tidy from install of kdewebdev-3.4.2-0.fc3.1 conflicts with
> file from package tidy-0.99.0-2.20040916
>
> Don't really know what to do with that.  Any assistance appreciated.

You appear to have a "tidy" package installed from Fedora Extras; this
package provides files that are also included in the version of
kdewebdev in the FC3 updates-released repository, probably as a result of:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/140970

The fix for this bug should really have been to get the reporter to
install "tidy" from Fedora Extras. However, now that the deed is done,
if you want to install kdewebdev you should be able to do it if you
first remove "tidy":

# yum remove tidy

Paul.