Hello Fedora: "Support" FAQ?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Nov 7 20:48:35 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 07.11.2005 schrieb Danny Howard um 21:08:

> Hello,

Welcome!

> I am a FreeBSD guy who is trying to get a handle on the Red Hat thing.
> I like that there's a documentation project to cover Fedora ... what I
> am missing is any sort of sanctioned "support forum" ... I keep having
> various little problems, like I want to recompile the kernel on my
> laptop to support NDIS, but the compile tree seems broken ... with
> FreeBSD I am pretty good at plugging the error message into Google
> Groups and usually getting a recent answer.  This does not seem the best
> approach with Fedora: I have to learn the Fedora Way to get answers.
>
> So, I found fedora-list, and like to think this may be a general support
> forum akin to freebsd-users ... is this a good place to ask questions
> and generally get some good advice?  Or is there a better place to go to
> try to answer my questions?  What I would totally vote for (and I looked
> around the Bugzilla / wiki and maybe I'll complete suggesting it) is a
> little link on http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/ which says "How to Solve
> Problems and Where to Get Support" ...
>
> Anyway, once I receive a few messages and get procmail tuned up, I will
> have some questions to post here.  I hope this is the place ... hello,
> everyone! :)
>
> Thanks,
> -danny

While this list is one of multiple places to get help as a Fedora user
(other ways to communicate are given on
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/communicate/), I wouldn't call this
a support forum, but a very active place where users help users (and
sometimes one or the other developer jumps into discussion with a
helpful answer). While you can't demand to get help in the very most
cases you should get a helpful reply (typically by several different
people).
But be aware that this list is high volume! 200 up to 300 mails per day
in average over the year. Don't get panic if your mail box fills rapidly
;) In general I feel it is worth to follow, even if you just read about
topics which aren't a current problem or topic for you.
A basic guide for using this list is at

Note, I don't want to teach you, just point out that there is that paper
about some basic rules, together with helpful links like where to search
the list archive. Lots of information was already communicated through
this list.

A different place to get a first feet into Fedora as a user is the
unofficial FAQ

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

If list archive and FAQ do not cover your questions or you are uncertain
about specific things, simply throw in you questions in a friendly
manner together with enough information about the issue - you can be
sure to get help. That often happens "nearly realtime" ;)

Alexander

Serendipity 21:32:50 up 9 days, 19:33, load average: 0.37, 0.31, 0.21