Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 23:45:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 15:14, Nat Gross wrote:
>         When you updated, yum just did its best to get you up to date
>         according
>         the comps.xml file.
>
> except that it did not install mysql 3.x. Just dumped the rpm in its
> cache. (Good thing  [for my data!]it didn't install 3.x.)

It probably tried to install what is really the current mysql for
your distribution and failed because of the bits and pieces from
the other version that it didn't know about.

You might want to consider switching to either Centos4.x or
fedora FC4, either of which will have mysql 4.x as part of
the distribution so the normal update procedure not only will
work but will include updates for the installed mysql.  Using
Centos has the advantage of being able to expect several
years of update support before you have to re-install again.
FC4 would have more current desktop apps.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com