Hello Fedora: "Support" FAQ?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 7 21:03:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:08 -0800, Danny Howard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a FreeBSD guy who is trying to get a handle on the Red Hat thing.
> I like that there's a documentation project to cover Fedora ... what I
> am missing is any sort of sanctioned "support forum" ... I keep having
> various little problems, like I want to recompile the kernel on my
> laptop to support NDIS, but the compile tree seems broken ... with
> FreeBSD I am pretty good at plugging the error message into Google
> Groups and usually getting a recent answer.  This does not seem the best
> approach with Fedora: I have to learn the Fedora Way to get answers.
>
> So, I found fedora-list, and like to think this may be a general support
> forum akin to freebsd-users ... is this a good place to ask questions
> and generally get some good advice?  Or is there a better place to go to
> try to answer my questions?  What I would totally vote for (and I looked
> around the Bugzilla / wiki and maybe I'll complete suggesting it) is a
> little link on http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/ which says "How to Solve
> Problems and Where to Get Support" ...

Hello and welcome.

Compiling anything that will affect the kernel (modules, etc.) will
require that you installed the development packages.  Specifically, you
need both kernel and kernel-devel for the running kernel to compile
drivers.

I assume from your comment about ndis that you are wanting to  use
ndiswrapper.  That does require the kernel-devel package for
compilation.

You do not need to recompile the kernel for that, just the matching
module.

OTOH, if you need the full kernel source to recompile for specific
reasons, it will need to be installed separately. There are many here
who can answer how. (I have not recompiled a kernel since Fedora came
out.)