pilot-link issues

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Nov 8 13:53:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 22:45 -0500, lance raymond wrote:

> ok, switched to plain text, and on the bottom  :)
----
thanks - nice - makes it easy to reply inline and in context
----

> Did what you requested, 1st got a popup error
> "The Application "gpilotd" has quit unexpectedly."
----
that's ok - gpilot and pilot-xfer are two different things
----

> It did continue in the terminal though, starting with;
>
> Listening for incoming connection on /tmp/pilot... connected!
>
>    Reading list of databases in RAM and ROM...
>
> then a HUGE list of what looks like everytihng on the treo and them
> some, ending with;
>
>  List complete. 485 files found.
>

>    Thank you for using pilot-link.
----
right on - it workee
----

> So at least it was able to read from the device, just not sure how to
> tell the OS that the device is on /device/something, and / or is there
> more to it.  I see evo uses /dev/pilot which I can simply sym link to.
----
yes, you can either symlink...

ln -s /tmp/pilot /dev/pilot # which seems tacky to me but should
                            # work without issue
or

simply change the setup of gpilotd
(Tools -> Pilot Settings -> Devices -> Port)

to use /tmp/pilot instead of /dev/pilot

Bear in mind...at some point, they are going to get udev working
properly without the timing issues that are currently present...I
thought I saw some mumbling about some of the stuff in rawhide working
better. At that point, you could probably try futzing with udev
and /dev/pilot again (if you create the symlink per above, you would
probably have to remove it later...don't forget)
----

> Thanks.
----
you're welcome