cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 21:54:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 11:13, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> First, I use evolution, which automatically defaults to top-posting.

Errr, just because it leaves the cursor at the top doesn't mean
it forces you to type there.  The idea is to read your way
though first, which would ordinarily involve moving the cursor
to scroll the screen.  Then think carefully, then answer,
deleting the parts that won't be interesting when someone else
reads it again.

> Second, while it is generally (?) considered newbish to top-post, I find
> it easier to read. On the other hand, I find bottom-posting to be a
> severe pain in my back-side. *

In business conversations, top posting seems to be the norm
because you generally have a quick turnaround and remember
what was said but leave it as an audit trail just in case.
On mailing lists you should expect every post to be seen
out of context by many people and it is very awkward
to (a) read backwards to follow the conversation, and (b)
figure out what part of a reply goes with what part of
the previous message.

I don't get how moving the cursor to an appropriate
position before typing can be that much of a pain.
Don't you have a mouse or arrow keys for that?
--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com