Large emailbox & Evolution/Dovecot = slow

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Wed Nov 9 17:18:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 14:14 +0100, Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Evolution and IMAP with Dovecot on an updated FC4 system. Dovecot
> uses its included config. My mailbox is now about 76 megs and rapidly
> growing because of the various high-volume mailing lists I'm subscribed
> too. Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that the
> responsiveness of Evolution/Dovecot is deteriorating. Anyone have any
> idea how I can optimize this setup so I get a decent performance again?

I'm running Dovecot/IMAP on a small office network were many users have
200MB+ sized mailboxes and haven't seen any performance problems. Our
mailboxes are using Maildir format (converted sometime ago from mbox
using a perl script I found online). With IMAP and large mailstores it
helps to make sure your client is not scanning all folders for new
messages (scanning takes time) - move old messages to archive folders
that aren't being scanned.

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com