sound problem

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Nov 9 22:55:34 UTC 2005

> > 	I've just installed FC4 on a new machine that is dual booting with
> > Windows XP.  The soundcard and speakers work fine on the Windows
> > side. On the FC4 side, when I test the sound with the soundcard
> > detection program I get this:
> >
> > The following audio device was detected.
> > Vendor: Intel
> > Model: Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
> > Definition Audio Controller
> > Module: snd-hda-intel
> >
> > But when I press the button "Play test sound" I don't hear anything.
> > Volume control on the Gnome panel is turned all the way up as are the
> > other volume controls on the Alsa Mixer widget.
>
> This is a known issue on FC4. What you need to do is open the mixer, and
> look for the switch "analogue/digital output jack" and turn it on. Then
> your sound will play just fine. I don't know why it default to the off
> position, but it's frustrating if you don't know about it.

I can't seem to find this "analogue/digital output jack" switch
anywhere.

Opening "Volume Control" from the Gnome menu brings up the Alsa Mixer.
The playback panel has muting/volume controls for Headphone, PCM, Front,
Front Mic, Surround, Center, LFE, Line-in, CD, Microphone, and PC
Speaker, all of which are turned on. (I've selected all these displays
to be visible from the Mixer "Preferences".)

Running alsamixer from a Terminal window brings up a display with the
same entries, none of which are muted.

Both displays also show the channel mode as "2ch" and the two "input
source" options as "mic".

So... does anyone know where can I find this analog/digital output jack
switch?

Jerry