cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness

David Abbott subvertex at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 06:29:27 UTC 2005

Here is how I got the Nvidia Drivers to work in FC4 on my Dell Inspiron
9300.
Thanks to Christopher A Williams
Do this on the back of a fresh install and it should work.

You have to go through this process before you corrupt your system with the
drvers from the Nvidia site.

Do a full:

yum update

This got the latest core and kernel source etc and a bunch of other stuff.

For me this was a 500mb download, I have obviously not tried going through
the process without doing this.
(and would be interested to know whether it would work without)

I then rebooted into the new kernel.

Download the latest source RPM from Livna. At present that is at:
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/4/i386/SRPMS.lvn/nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.src.rpm
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/4/i386/SRPMS.lvn/nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.src.rpm

Stick it in a folder such as /tmp

go into

init 3

Install Fedora RPM Dev Tools (yum -y install fedora-rpmdevtools)

While running the new kernel (assuming the source RPM you downloaded
is in the current directory and you have current Pentium processor), run
the command:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.src.rpm

If your processor isn't i686 class, use the appropriate flag for your
system.

As I have it listed, this command will rebuild new custom RPMs for your
currently running kernel and deposit all of them in the
directory /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686. You can them move these new RPMs to
a directory of your choice for safe keeping. The files you will have
will include something like the following list:

* kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.i686.rpm
* nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.i686.rpm
* nvidia-glx-debuginfo-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.i686.rpm
* nvidia-glx-devel-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.i686.rpm

You will only need to install the first two RPMs from the above list
to get things working. Once you have installed these, you can either
restart X or reboot and enjoy the new drivers.

to install make sure that you are in the same directories as the files
i.e /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686 and go:

rpm -Uvh kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.i686.rpm
nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-0.lvn.2.4.i686.rpm

Executing both these files in the one command.

When you upgrade the kernel, follow the same rebuild process. You will
then only need to install the updated kernel module RPM. Everything else
will already be ready to go.

Thanks again all.
David Abbott