Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Thu Nov 10 13:36:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 09:59:59PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> Ok. Logged in under FC4 and doing a 511Meg yum update now.
> I DO have the old fateful FC3 yum log. Can't copy it here yet (my nfs mounts
> not working yet on the new fc4 upgraded server).
> But one line of the log reads "installing mysql 3.x"). [Which it didn't.
> Just dl'd the RPM's.]
> And after that, two lines: 1. "erased mysql server". 2. "erased mysql
> client".
> If this ain't a bug, what is?

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but the same thing happened to me
with a customer machine.  The sequence of events went something like this:

1.  Install FC3.
2.  Install MySQL 4.1.11 RPMs from mysql.com
3.  Run 'yum -yd 2 update'
4.  Observe that the MySQL 4.1.11 pieces are gone, some of which have been
    replaced by the FC3 3.23.x versions.

The root problem is that a non-distro RPM (I don't like this thread's
calling them "non-standard" RPMs, as this RPM comes from MySQL
directly) was in the system, and Yum didn't know what to do.
Personally I don't think it did the right thing, but I accepted that
the responsibility is mine for running yum.

We don't run yum at all on this box anymore; and since the box is in
a protected network, we don't see a need to seek out an alternative
update mechanism.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: