Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 22:20:53 UTC 2005

David Mackintosh wrote:
[snip]
> The root problem is that a non-distro RPM (I don't like this thread's
> calling them "non-standard" RPMs, as this RPM comes from MySQL directly)
> was in the system, and Yum didn't know what to do.

Quite the opposite.  Yum is doing exactly as it was told:

[whooper at token i386]$ rpm -qp --conflicts mysql-3.23.58-16.FC3.1.i386.rpm
MySQL

The FC3 mysql package has an explicit conflict with the MySQL (from
mysql.org) package.  I would say that if you turned up the debugging on
yum that a FC3 package needs something provided by the FC3 mysql RPM that
isn't provided by the MySQL RPM.

Before throwing stones at YUM it is best to look at the packages for
problems.

--
William Hooper