Floppy Install

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Nov 11 00:45:45 UTC 2005

    Wait, wait, wait...before you start bashing this dead horse
again...  Let me explain.  I'm in a bind with a few machines needing to
be upgraded to FC4.  The machines do not have a CD drive.  They also do
not have USB on them.  And to top it off, they're all stuck in a rack
where it's going to be a major pain in the rear to get out.  And I can't
use PXE because the NICs in the machines don't support it.  So, I went
hunting and google came up with this web site:

    http://www.thisiscool.com/fcfloppy.htm

    Great!  Except...it doesn't work.  It loads all the floppies just
fine and goes through to where it wants to load anaconda and then it
barfs with 'Less than 4MB of memory.  System halted'  And I'm dead in
the water again.  These machines have 512MB in them.

    All I need is to boot the machine up to where I can start the
installer and pull the ISOs across NFS.  Other than the above option,
does anyone have any other suggestions and/or tricks up their sleeves?
And please don't say 'pull the machines out and rip them open.'  That
would be the utmost last option right now.  There's got to be something
else somewhere.  I honestly don't want to pull each and everyone of them
out, rip them open to connect a CD drive, install the OS, then take the
drive off and stick it back in the rack, only to repeat it again for the
next one.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I have to believe that somewhere
someone made a floppy based bootstrap that works.  And I'm hoping
someone here can tell me where I can find that.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.