FC3 -> FC4 upgrade leaves old packages

Ed Swierk eswierk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 20:02:41 UTC 2005

 <akonstam <at> trinity.edu> writes:
> Would you expect an upograding program to upgrade to packages with a
> lowere version number? You can't expect any upgrading system to know
> that to go to a hoigher version of the distribution lower versions of
> packages need to be installed.

In general, no, of course not.

But I would expect the Fedora Core 4 installer to know how to upgrade official
Fedora Core 3 packages, even ones newer than the original FC4.

At least it should cry for help when it doesn't know what to do.

It should not merrily march along, ignoring critical packages like kernel and
glibc, and leaving the system an unholy mix of old and new.

--Ed