No network after yum kernel upgrade

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 23:25:08 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 13:28, Jon D. Slater wrote:
> Jdek wrote:
> >Le vendredi 11 novembre 2005 à 10:25 -0700, Jon D. Slater a écrit :
> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>I've been away from this list for a while, and I've asked the question
> >>before.  (So, it may have been answered.)
> >>
> >>Today I did a "yum update" and got kernel-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 (updated
> >>from  kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC4).
> >>
> >>Rebooted, and I lost my network connection.
> >>
> >>During the boot to '1637' and from the network admin screen, it claims
> >>to not be able to find my eth0 device (3Com 3c905).
> >>
> >>But when I boot using '1456', it finds eth0 just fine.
> >>
> >>I'm running on an HP Pavilion 8150.
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Jon
> >
> >I've got the same problem, with a message saying that the setup of eth0 is
> > delayed because of a lack of a module (?) forcedeth that should work with
> > NVidia chipsets.
> >But I can't understand the steps to include this module I've found here
> >and there.
>
> I just checked my message file (to see if I missed something) and found:
> modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting 3c59x
> (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1637_FC4/kernel/drivers        /net/3c59x.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>
> What the heck does that mean?

It means that a 3c59 is not the same thing as a 3c509.  Apparently something
in kernel '1637' has an error.  Just use '1456' and file a bug report and
hopefully it will get fixed.

3c509!  That was when parts were made to last, obviously.  Still have several
of those in a storage box somewhere and use them on occasion.

HTH,
Tom

--
Tom Taylor