ssh and vi question

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 14 22:49:06 UTC 2005

Please ask one question per post. That way there can be separate threads with
good subject lines for each topic.

On 14Nov2005 13:07, Michael Beattie <mtbeedee at gmail.com> wrote:
| I just installed FC4 (minimal install) and I went to do some of the
| things that I do when I just install a new machine.  I copy over my
| id_rsa.pub so that I can ssh to it without a password.  For some
| reason though it always asks me for a password.  I have tried changing
| the sshd_config but I just cant get it to work.  What is it that I
| need to change in this config to make it work?  What am I missing?

I would suspect file and directory permissions. You have copied
the id_rsa.pub file to your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the
new machine, yes?  You also need to ensure that none of ~, ~/.ssh
nor ~/.ssh/authorized_keys have write permissions for group or
other. Otherwise sshd will refuse to trust the authorized_keys file.

/var/log/secure logs ssh connections and rejections. It may say something
useful to you.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It is disconcerting to reflect on the number of students we have flunked in
chemistry for not knowing what we later found to be untrue.
- quoted by Robert L. Weber's, _Science With a Smile_, 1992