video convert AVI <=> wmv

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Tue Nov 15 00:20:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 17:20 -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> I just did a little test.  Took a picture with my digital camera to
> create a 60 second pacman.mov file and then used:
>
> mencoder -oac pcm -ovc copy pacman.mov -o pacman.wmv

I'm pretty sure you didn't convert the video stream (hint: -ovc copy).
If it weren't for the audio conversion to pcm you might as well have
done:

$ cp pacman.mov pacman.wmv

For converting stuff, you have to specify an output codec that is
different from the input. To list available ovc's (output video codecs),
use:

$ mencoder -ovc help

For most purposes you'll want to use -ovc lavc, and then use -lavcopts
to specify the exact format plus millions of other parameters.

> and it converted just fine to view the pacman.wmv with mplayer.

Have a close look at what video format mplayer says it is detecting.

(I can't see a way of writing wmv in my mplayer/mencoder installation,
btw.)

Cheers
Steffen.