What is "+" on mouse cursor?

Glenn McKechnie graybeard at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 15 12:04:50 UTC 2005

David Niemi wrote:
[...]
> > I remember well the exact same puzzle :-0
> >
> > Ctrl-Alt-F7
> >

> Yup that worked, I didn't want to try finding this by trial and error,
> having enough fun with whatever I did to get the "+" sign.  What causes
> that?
>
> Also, for future reference what is it called when one Ctrl-Alt-F1's or
> Ctrl-Alt-F7's?

Switching terminals? Wouldn't know if that's the *correct* name, but
that is basically what you're doing. You've got 6 text terminals
(consoles) and one running X (No. 7)

The real reason why I'm responding to this email is to clarify, expand
on, the key combinations. When you're in the GUI (X), Ctrl-Alt-Fx is
required to switch to the text terminal of your choice (usually 1
through to 6).  Once you're at the terminal (text mode) of you're choice
you can drop the Alt key, ie: Alt-F2 will get the second console, Alt-F3
the third, until Alt-F7 which gets the seventh terminal - and usually
where the GUI is running.

/etc/inittab or man inittab if you want clues as to how they are arrived at?

--
Cheers
 Glenn