Making space for another OS.

Craig McLean craig at fukka.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 14:45:24 UTC 2005

Hi List!
I'm going to stick Solaris 10 on my laptop (this is not an advocacy
post, just for info) and to do so I need to free up some physical space
on my disk which is currently allocated to LVM2.
I'm thinking that the steps below are what I need to do to get where I
want to be, but would appreciate any comments or pointers from the list
about things I may have missed, gotchas and the like.

I have:
/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14        4864    38965657+  8e  Linux LVM

where the VG is:
 VG Name               VolGroup00
[snip]
  VG Size               37.16 GB

and LVs are:
 LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  [snip]
  LV Size                36.62 GB
  [snip]
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  [snip]
  LV Size                512.00 MB
  [snip]

It's a standard install. That's root and swap.
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      37801496  19290132  16591160  54% /
Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01         partition       524280  57888   -1

So all my physical space is used up by volumes, but there is free space
on the filesystem. I want about 10Gb of physical free space that I can
create a Solaris partition in. The plan is:

0) back everything up ;-)
1) boot from the rescue CD, unmount/fsck filesystems
2) resize2fs "/" down by 11Gb
3) lvreduce the root volume down by 10Gb
4) resize2fs "/" back up to fill the LV
5) with fdisk, delete the partition entry and recreate from same
starting block, but ending the partition ~10Gb short of where it ends now.
6) reboot and pray.
7) with fdisk, create a space for Solaris to live, and install.

I have a bad feeling about step 5, but I can't see another way to do
this, given there's no "pvresize".

Any comments would be *really* useful!

Thanks in advance.

Craig.