WLAN not working - was Re: yum install madwifi problem

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 17:21:48 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 9:41 am, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Monday 14 November 2005 10:52 pm, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > yum install kernel-module-madwifi-`uname -r`
>
> Excelent, thanks.  Did that followed by
>
> yum install madwifi
>
> and both installed without a hitch.  NOw to go through the howtos on
> configuring it so it actually works.
>
> Gary

Having done the above it looked like I'd got my wireless working and
just needed to configure it.  However, I'm having no joy.  I've read
the man pages for iwconfig, ifconfig and iwlist and done everything I
think I should do but I get nothing back.

I then tried using system-config-network, at which point my LAN and all
my USB connected devices (keyboard/mouse which was a pain) stopped
working.

It looks like  it's a config problem because the IRQ and addresses seem
wrong. Win XP reports it as IRQ 18 and address ffe60000-ffe6ffff while
ifconfig reports irq9 and addresses e08a0000-e08b0000 and
'cat /proc/pci' reports IRQ 9 and addresses  0xd4010000 [0xd401ffff]

(WinXP works)

I've googled to try to find out how to force the XP reported values but
have failed, but hane found places where a countycode is supplied.  Can
someone help me here, and if countrycode is required, what code do I
need for the UK?

--
Gary Stainburn