Real player doesn't launch from web pages.

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:48:38 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Robert Cahn <robertscahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I go to WNYC ( www.wnyc.org <http://www.wnyc.org> ) and hit the link
> for their MP3 stream. A little notification pops up saying, "You have chosen
> to open wnycfm.pls" and asks me if I want to open it with realplay.desktop(I installed realplayer there by accident.) Then nothing happens. Real
> player doesn't launch. If I manually launch Realplayer and then try to
> launch http://www.wnyc.org/stream/wnycfm.pls manually the Real player
> application freezes. I can, however, install other streams, WBUR for
> example. Two questions:
> 1. How do I reenable the launching of Real player from Firefox?
> 2. What might keep the WNYC stream from being accepted?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> /Bob Cahn
> Gipsy Trail Club
> Carmel, NY

Follow the directions for Realplayer:
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#RealPlayer

I would advise you not to use the Firefox plugins directory. Place the
symbolic link for nphelix.so in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory. Do
the same for nphelix.xpt but put it in the components directory. This way,
you don't have to put back the link each time Firefox is upgraded.
Additionally, the plugins installed there will be available for all Mozilla
based browsers.