FC4 - Cannot resolve hosts, but nslookup works

Vijay Gill vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:01:20 UTC 2005

You won't believe guys, I fixed it!!! And the problem was nothing to
do with networking!

I was trying cachecc1, which is a cache for gcc, to compile a few
programs. I liked it so I thought of putting it in /usr/local/lib. It
is a .so (shared library) and has to be loaded using LD_PRELOAD. I had
added following lines to /etc/profile so that every user would enjoy
the benefits of cachecc1.

CACHECC_HOME=/usr/local/bin/
CACHECC1_DIR=/work/cachecc1-base/cachecc-$USER/
LD_PRELOAD=$CACHECC_HOME/cachecc1.so

That must have caused the problem because I removed these lines from
/etc/profile, rebooted the system and everything worked like before.

And yes, I had rebooted it 3-4 time before removing those lines from
/etc/profile, and it did not work.

Thanks for your efforts though.

Regards from
Vijay