Problem with partitioning -- How to format hard drive and reinstall Windows?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 16 11:56:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 20:37 -0800, peter wu wrote:
> I supposed I first need to make a Win98 boot diskette. However, my
> computer does't have a floppy drive. Can I make a Win98 boot CD
> instead?

The original Win98SE CD-ROM works that way.  If you can boot it (i.e.
you have a PC that can boot from CDs), then you've got the same tools
that would be available on the boot floppy.

Otherwise, temporarily add a floppy drive.

>   Also, once I format hard drive as FAT, can I reconfigure it to NTFS?
> (I could be wrong, but I thought WinXP was on NTFS.)

Yes, and as far as I've always seen, WinXP uses NTFS by default.

>  Can I make it dual-boot with Linux if the file system is FAT instead
> of NTFS?

Don't see why not.  Only the boot sector, or boot partition, has to be
readable by the BIOS.

I read messages from the public lists.