xcdroast

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 16 19:32:18 UTC 2005

Globe Trotter wrote:
> So, I have a strange problem: I can not write using xcdroast. I get the
> following error message: can not access /dev/cdrom....
>
> I have a /media/cdrecorder. How do I get around this? Creating a softlink does
> not  work....
>
> many thanks and best wishes!

Note the distinction between *devices* and *mount points*.
/dev/cdrom is a device
/media/cdrecorder is (presumably) a mount point

xcdroast is complaining that your device is not present. This
has nothing to do with (presumably) your mount point mentioned
in /etc/fstab. Adding a soft link will not make a device appear.

I tremble to suggest that you do a

$ man MAKEDEV

as you almost certainly will not make things better by running it.
You may, however get some insight.

On my system, I have this...

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Oct 20  2004 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

You need to find out the real device name of your CDROM drive and
make a link to that.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.