Livna Usability Assessment Assessment

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Nov 16 20:06:32 UTC 2005

Andy Green wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>

>>I do agree that rpm is not the best things for installing software due
>>to dependencies but it would be nice to see a listing of what packages
>

> Well to be clear rpm itself is really good IMO.  Trying to acquire rpms
> individually when there is a cluster of dependent ones is what sucks and
> perhaps unfairly has the name "rpm Hell".  RPM in combination with a
> depsolver like yum is really pretty good!

Better said of what I was thinking.

>>are available on livna via a web browser.  Yesterday I typed in yum
>>provides gdb and it took almost an hour to get the results.  This is
>>only an example but a listing of packages would be nice.
>>
>>It would give me the option to download the rpm or to enable livna and
>>then use yum.
>

> If you get stuck with a slow mirror it can take ages.  I just tried it
> and it finished in around 1 minute.

Or a slow network or whatever is causing problems today.  At home it
was very quick.

>>Sometimes I am looking for something weird and I find an answer on
>>Google but it doesn't help if I cannot find the package.  Livna may have
>>the package but I cannot do a simple search of the site to know.
>

> Yep.
>

>>How about a link from the package that opens a download page that
>>explains the benefits of Yum over straight rpm.  Including links to the
>>various setup files and a howto to setup and user yum for noobs.
>

> I think up2date is still exerting a confusing influence over people new
> to Fedora.  Hopefully soon enough something with a similar UI based on
> "yum inside" will replace it and the Add/Remove packages app and the
> confusion will go away.
>
> -Andy

I got rid of up2date while still using FC1 as I couldn't stand that
stupid flashing icon on the desktop.  I use yumex (in extras) as a
package manager as it give me more control than just "yum update all"
  I can see what packages and quickly read the description to see if I
should think about deleting it instead.