Lost User

Thomas Widhalm mailing.tomina at inode.at
Thu Nov 17 08:55:14 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 16.11.2005, 23:26 -0500 schrieb Don Flinn:
> Hi
>
> The other week I was trying to remove OpenOffice to install OpenOffice
> 2.0 because of the repeated crashing of the Fedora version of
> OpenOffice.  Somehow, I made my login inoperable.  When I tried to login
> the screen went blank for some time then came back to the login screen.
> Logging in as root I created another user.  Although I can reach the old
> user directories through /home/oldusr it is a real pain especially with
> my eudora mail (can't read my old mail).  I tried to recreate the
> password for the old user by using passwd, but that didn't cure my
> problem.  Anyone have a solution to get my old user login to work again.

Hi!

I encountered a similar problem, with /home directories mounted via NFS
on a SuSE box. When I tried to log in without having my own home, I
crashed back to the login screen while using X.

Does your home (and the files in it) still belong to you? And are the
permissions set the appropriate way?

Greetings,
Thomas

--