Re: vi-style scrolling in firefox

Richard England wrote:
Tim wrote:

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 14:45 -0500, David A. De Graaf wrote:
For those of us with hands glued to the standard typing position,
the inability of firefox to scroll vi-style is a constant irritation.
The necessity to lift the hand over to the unnatural arrow keys,

My arrow keys seem quite natural.  Up arrow points up and moves up; the
down arrow's below it and moves down; left arrow is left of it, and
points left; there's a right arrow on the right that goes right, etc.

I can agree with the argument that the common user may not understand the Emacs or Vi "standard" key bindings for cursor movement, but over the years they HAVE become a standard. I also agree that the plethora for key mappings from Linux applications are detrimental to common user "comfort" with Linux.

Having said that, however, for someone used to the Vi/Emacs "standards" it would be a great convenience not to have to shift to the auxiliary keypad to move about in the browser.

Thanks, David, for showing me how I can install the Vi key bindings

Linux is about freedom- in this case, the freedom to customize. Is it as easy (or as well documented) under the various flavors of Windows?

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk iag net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.