MP3 not supported?

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 13:36:09 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

 > Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

 >> Okay, relative newbie question:
 >>
 >> Why does Fedora default to HelixPlayer for MP3s and then throw up the
 >> message "The player does not have the capabilities to play back this
 >> content"? Why doesn't Fedora install MP3 (and MPEG-4) support by
 >> default, and how do I install these so that my default player for
 >> both  types (HelixPlayer and Totem) will actually play MP3 and MPEG
 >> files?
 >>

 > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-why-no-mp3

The situation has become even more fun recently with a licensing company
collecting royalties for mp3 patents held by France Telecom and Philips
among others.  With a little luck commercial mp3 might quietly die off.

I would advise the OP to have a look at <http://www.fedorafaq.org/>
for advice on playing mp3 in Fedora.  As for Helix, the Realplayer 10
for Linux binary from Real includes support for closed codecs,
including mp3.

--
imalone