MP3 not supported?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 17:43:40 UTC 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 06:44, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>Okay, relative newbie question:
>
>Why does Fedora default to HelixPlayer for MP3s and then throw up the
>message "The player does not have the capabilities to play back this
>content"? Why doesn't Fedora install MP3 (and MPEG-4) support by
>default, and how do I install these so that my default player for both
>types (HelixPlayer and Totem) will actually play MP3 and MPEG files?

Thats because the mp3 format is patent encumbered, enforcement subject
to the whims of faunhofer (sp), who has historicly been less than
cooperative, with licenses starting in the 4 digit$ area even after
extensive negotiations.

Its a patent fee liabilty few distributers are will to assume.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)