Fixing perms

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Nov 22 03:04:42 UTC 2005

    This is why I tell people I know that vacation for me doesn't mean a
dang thing...it's just another working day for me.  This morning I
received an e-mail from a client that has his machine co-located with
me.  It seems over the weekend he screwed with "something" which caused
several things on the system to quit working.  After hunting for a bit
(and looking at his .bash_history) I figured that he ran a few 'chown'
commands in places like /usr/sbin and lord knows where else.  So, now
I'm trying to figure out if:

    a) I need rebuild his machine from scratch, or
    b) if there's some way that I can verify binary permissions and what
not, possibly by running some rpm verify command?  I don't know.

    Part of me wants to simply rebuild the machine, but at the same time
I don't have time to go through this right now.

--
R | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.