Multiple IP + ip tables

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 22 11:40:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 22:53 -0600, Jonathan Carpenter wrote:
> I message the list a few days ago on how to get a server setup with
> multiple ip's everyone was very helpful, I was also wondering if I
> want to block ip's to this server using iptables would I need to set
> rules per ip that the machine has or just the main ip. For instance I
> have one server it's primary ip is 10.1.1.1 <http://10.1.1.1> the
> other virtual ip are 10.1.1.2 <http://10.1.1.2>, 10.1.1.3
> <http://10.1.1.3>. Would I only have to configure iptables to
> block ips to 10.1.1.1 <http://10.1.1.1> or all three ip's? If so how
> would I go about this?

I don't think you've really said enough about what you're hoping to do.
But you can do wildcarding sort of rules, rules that apply to network
blocks (e.g. 192.168.1.x, where x covers 0 to 255), rules that block
everything, rules that allow some things, etc.

So, you can, for example, block a webserver from everyone, then add one
specific rule to allow access to it from one place.

I read messages from the public lists.