detecting NIC's

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 19:37:00 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> The D-Link NIC came with a cd labeled DFE538TX, which holds the
> driver, which I installed.

I replied:

Thufir said:
> I've succesfully used this card in a different computer running Linux. Also,
> the box says "linux" on it.  At the moment the computer in question will
> have to remain a windows box, but I hope to change that down the road.

Um ... Sorry, I meant "don't touch the driver CD". It may well have
drivers on it ... for 2.2 and earlier.

I asked:

Thufir said:
> No they don't.  I did install the windows driver for the D-Link, but I'm
> still not seeing anything in the device manager for ?ethernet device?, IIRC.

If they haven't got drivers, they might be coming up under "other
devices" (or whatever the equivalent is: I don't have a Windows box here
to check).

> I'll do you one better:  tom's.  What am I looking for?  Under Tom's Linux
> ifconfig didn't show much.  (I'm not sure how to mount a floppy and didn't
> write down the results.)  Tom's didn't mention a specific NIC, but *did*
> give an IP address of 127.0.0.1 IRRC.  This points to a hardware issue?

Tom's isn't *that* good a test. It's *very* squeezed to get things onto
a floppy. I wouldn't be sure that it has all the drivers on it.

You could look in /proc/pci and trying to work out each of the devices
are. You'd see PCI IDs looking something like 8086:1102. 8086 is the
company code (in this case Intel), and 1102 the device ID. You can look
them up at http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/

Or, on a boot CD, you could use lspci, which should give human-readable
values.

It's also worth looking at dmesg, /var/log/dmesg, or messages to see if
either of them are mentioned.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "But alas, we don't need a car, so I have a bus
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | timetable and one day the buses will read it too."