VMWare USB support on FC4 x86_64

Marco Maccaferri macca at maccasoft.com
Wed Nov 23 13:59:25 UTC 2005

Hi.

I'm running VMWare workstation 5 on FC4 x86_64 and I need to access an
USB dongle from a Windows XP guest OS. It takes a while to load the
guest OS, like it is waiting for a timeout of some kind, and in the
/var/log/messages file I see this:

ioctl32(vmware-vmx:9340): Unknown cmd fd(133) cmd(40109980){00}
arg(ffff9080) on /proc/bus/usb/005/001

and of course the USB dongle is not available from the Windows XP guest.

Searching the web I found a number of answers starting from a 64bit
kernel problem that won't allow 32bit programs to access the USB devices
that won't be fixed, to the requirement of running the kernel 2.6.12 and
VMWare WS5 to have it working.

My current kernel is 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4, the kernel sees the USB dongle
(kernel: usb 3-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address
2). Is there a way to have the USB ports available in the guest OS ?

Thanks.
Bye