Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Nov 26 04:29:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 10:52:27PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> The concept  was  to load wordperfect under Linux. Also WordPerfect was
> working on a program that was able to run Microsoft applications under
> Linux. MicroSoft bought WordPerfect out and closed development on the
> project and stripped out the code WordPerfect developed for the feat.

This isn't quite accurate. Corel made use of the open-source Wine project to
port their code to Linux (using it in its "Wine-is-not-an-emulator" role).
They did make contributions back to the open source project, but I'm not
sure how extensive they were.

> I was going to buy it when it came out. I believe there was a version of
> WordPerfect Linux that actually made it to the stores. I do not know

It was a free download; I'm not sure if it was actually also available in
physical stores for money.

> whatever happened to the information on the web.
> I'll try WordPerfect Linux to see what comes up.

Yes, good idea.

> What is a competent search engine? Google seems to be falling apart. It
> could not find the sun in midday now.

Well, try Google before complaining. :)

Searching for "wordperfect linux" (without the quotes) on Google brings up a
very informative FAQ, including links to download sites.