OpenLDAP in FC4: Certificate instructions refers to non-existing directory/files?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 26 06:52:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 10:28 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Finally, does  anyone supply their own CA avoiding "trusted"
> CA sites such as Verisign/Thwait.etc.?  Is there really any
> serious problems or risk by not using them as a trusted CA
> source?

Depends on your purposes.

e.g. If you were offering a service to the public, they'd need to know
that you're who you say you are.  A trustable third party is usually the
only feasible way of doing that.

e.g. If you just wanted to use SSL within your own network to prevent
snooping, and had your own way of verifying that you were connecting to
the right box, then a third party confirming that isn't needed.

I read messages from the public lists.