cups-pdf

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Nov 26 16:30:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 19:09 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> Is anyone using the cups-pdf system from
>> http://cip.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/?  It's a virtual
>> printer that can produce PDF files as output.
>
> print to postscript and use ps2pdf
>
> That's what I've always done - well, now gnome-print allows printing to

Sure, but it's kind of inconvenient compared to just selecting a printer.
I had cups-pdf working a while ago, and it was pretty handy.

Also, I opened a PDF in evince, printed to PS, and converted back with
ps2pdf, and evince displayed gibberish (although acroread looked fine).

> pdf directly - so most apps (that I use) don't need to go to postscript.

I opened a document in evince and selected Print -> Create a PDF
document.  When I print, I get an error popup that says, "Generating PDF
is not supported."

Besides, not everything uses gnome-print.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu