Announcing Fedora Core 5 Test1

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 27 12:16:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 13:18 -0800, kurt Werner wrote:
> * I used a program called isobuster to extract the files into a
> directory on my hard-drive

Well, it "busted" them, all right.  A friend downloading Linux for me
did that too, despite being given explicit instructions for what to do
with the ISO files, he went and did other things instead of just burning
them.

Not only was it not bootable, but fails all the md5sum security
checking, because the disc isn't created as its supposed to be.

> * I used Nero to burn a CD as a boot disk. (I think?)

I think you've got to do quite a bit of mucking around to get Nero to
create a bootable disc, from individual files.  The ISO is already
as-you-need-it, it just needs burning to the disc.

To burn disks from ISOs, you need to look through your burning software
for options called something like "burn from image".  There's tons of
webpages describing how to "burn discs from ISO files".

I read messages from the public lists.