Resolved XP accessing ntfs partion in samba server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 28 11:14:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 07:58 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
> Perhaps I didn't make my point clear enough, the situation is even
> when I log in as root into samba server, I can access the ntfs
> partition, but when I try to access the same ntfs partition from
> remote XP machine even under the root account (I create this root
> account for test), I got access denial unless I add a line
> "/dev/hdb5 /mnt/ntfs ntfs defaults,ro,umask=000 0 0" in /etc/fstab,

A remote access as root isn't the same as being root on that machine (if
you configure things in a safe manner).  This may be a cause of your
problems.

> my question is : 1) How can an administrator (such as root) access
> this ntfs partition in samba server from remote XP machine when there
> is a need?

Connect via SSH to the machine the drive is on, and operate on it
(almost) directly.  Don't try and share out stuff as root, then try and
use them as root on a remote mount (it opens you up to a lot of
problems, not to mention that you're fighting against some common setup
options that don't allow it).

>  2) Is adding umask 000 in /etc/fstab the only way to open ntfs access
> for remote XP machine, I can't find the way in shell environment to do
> that yet.

You would need to mount something in a particular way to enable more
access (though be warned, that's a very bad idea).  Once mounted, you
wouldn't be able to change permissions to be more permissible than the
mount settings.

I read messages from the public lists.