Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 28 21:24:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:18:29PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> Interesting note. I do NOT [yet] have the bash-completion pkg
> installed, and upon reading your message I tried hitting tab. Hitting
> tab twice produced these results.

By default, it will complete any unambiguous command when you hit tab. If
it's ambiguous, it'll beep (which you won't hear, unless you've configured
something specially), and then show the list of possibilities when you hit
tab again.

To cause it to produce the list immediately, type

 set show-all-if-ambiguous

or put that in your .bash_profile.

But be aware that this is even more annoying than the beeping. :)