Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Tue Nov 29 08:12:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:18:29PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:

>>  On 11/28/05, Peter Gordon <admin at ramshacklestudios.com> wrote:
>>  > Nat Gross:
>>  > > 1. Typing a partial command that exists in history, hit <F8>, and the
>>  > > command either gets completed (if unique string), or a little menu is
>>  > > presented.
>>  > I've read that you can achieve something similar to this by using the
>>  > PgUp/PgDn keys with GNU Bash, but I've not tried it all.
>>  I see now that the Pg keys do something, but cant figure what its doing.

Neither can I.  But the up and down arrow keys will move you up and
down in the command history, which may be what you wanted anyway.

I notice that others have also told you about some of the other neat
tricks -- tab completion of just about everything, and control-R to
search the history.

About delete and backspace (mentioned in a later post) ....  Yeah,
this can be a can of worms.  You *might* find something useful in
the "keyboard how-to" (Google for Linux and "keyboard how-to").

-- blm