Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:02:25 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hit control-R for an emacs-like incremental-search through history.
> > There's a way to switch to vi-style but when I tried it long ago
> > it lost the up/down arrow scroll through history.  Does anyone
> > know if that is fixed now?
>
> It never was broken.  When you set vi style options, you have to use
> vi commands to access the command history.  The command line ends up
> being put in a modal state just like vi (edit vs. command).  To switch
> to command mode, press ^V.  To switch back into edit mode, use any vi
> edit command like 'i' for insert, for example.  You move through the
> history, and the command like, using the normal vi movement keys of h,
> j, k, and l.

To add to this, you can also just use plain old ESC to switch to
command mode.  It's been a long time since I've used vi key bindings
full time. ;-)

--
Chris

"`The enemy we fight has no respect for human life or human rights.
They don't deserve our sympathy,' he said. `But this isn't about who
they are. This is about who we are. These are the values that
distinguish us from our enemies.' - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona