Network Perfomance

Peter Dominey pdominey at dominey.biz
Tue Nov 29 17:29:28 UTC 2005

Ah!,  there is a real difference between what a telecom provider tells
you and the reality.  In fact all FIOS is, is a LAN connection. I have a
static IP from them, so all it requires is a router with that IP address
(otherwise just a little ppoe stuff needs to be used). I have put in
intervening firewalls and so on, which would be very foolish for someone
not to have.

It turned out that network problem was a flaky patch cable,  "... curse
those do it yourself cables... " :)

Thanks

Peter

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:51 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 09:09 -0600, Peter Dominey wrote:
> > It has to be some configuration issue, I'm thinking. I am getting really
> > lousy network performance, particularly evidenced when using Firefox to
> > the Internet. I have followed the information I could find in FAQ'd etc
> > and changed my /etc/sysctl.conf file:
> >
> I found performance improved considerably with a vanilla kernel. Why? I
> haven't a clue. YMMV. Have you installed the caching name server?
>
> BTW, Verizon requires Windows for FIOS. I don't have FIOS (yet) so I
> have no way of determining what the Linux issues are.
>
> --
> Our DNSRBL -
>        Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.php
>         Zombie Graphs: http://www.TQMcube.com/zombies.php