SSH on Multiple ports Fedora Core 4

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 30 02:59:41 UTC 2005

John Gallagher wrote:
> I want it to run on multiple ports but with different options.  The service
> running on port 5000 will be open for outside connections, RSA only, and no
> root login.  I want the standard config to also run so that internally you
> do not need a RSA key and can login as root.

What problem are you trying to solve?

As you seem to want to do, I login to certain machines from both inside
and outside the office.

Mostly, I use a VPM so I always seem (to the office) to be on the
inside, but for special occasions I have the exterior firewall direct
ssh to my desktop where very few have an account. To clarify:

This goes to my desktop
ssh example.com
This goes to the server
ssh example.lan

After the first, I can get to all of .example.lan directly.

If I ssh in to there from outside, I then can ssh to other machines as
me, or as root (according to taste, not all my machines allow this), and
if as me then I use sudo if needed to do administrative things.

ps
You can also use xinetd as a redirector, so ssh to port 22 gets you to
one system, ssh to port 23 to another. Port 5000 isn't a good port to
use, it's used (unofficially) by other packages.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait