Logwatch problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 14:43:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 01:17, Franck Y wrote:
> Scot,
>
> Don't woory i'm not the kind of guy who will spy everyone's life.
> Loftstory makes the job.
>

> I' m the only user who can send mail and receive mail from this computer.
> But i don't know where mails are going because some day, some mails
> are sent and i don't have any idea, who sent it? And the more
> important i think to whom!

Then I think you have a different problem.  In general the system will
email root a number of things which you should review.  If you have
applications sending emails outside your system that you do not know
about and you are the only user on the system then you might have been
compromised.

You should run rkhunter and chkrootkit on your system to see if there
are any indications of a root kit on your system.  Examine the contents
of /tmp and /var/tmp closely.  Sometimes there are files there that
indicate you have been compromised.

If you think your system was compromised the only thing to do is to
reload it from scratch.