Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

Ian mogplus8 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 1 00:22:49 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
>> Tim:

>> akonstam at trinity.edu
>>

>>> I have an ex-student who made a claim like this recently. His company
>>> produces a product that needs no documentation. It is "intuitively
>>> obvious" he says.
>>> Balderdash. I am still waiting for the program that needs no
>>> documentation.
>>

>> Then it's not a "good GUI".  :-\  I did say a good GUI shouldn't need
>> it, I didn't say all GUIs are good.  A lot are quite crap, like the two
>> examples I gave.
>

> ANY significant system needs documentation. I take it that the only
> good GUI is a trivial, useless one, then.
>
>> On the other side of the coin, a lot of non-GUI programs are crap to use
>> for similar reasons:  Unintuitive ways of working, requires
>> documentation to understand how to use them, and the documentation is
>> poor.
>

> Nobody has said otherwise, AFAIK.
>
> Mike

You can't make a one size fits all gui. What's intuitive to one person
might be obscure to someone else. Everybody's expectations are
different, where you would expect to find Preferences... (assuming they
are even called that) might be the last place I'd look. Much as I hate
to say it, that's one thing we have to thank Microsoft for. Windows has
moulded the expectations of the great unwashed to understand
"intuitively" how to work PC software. That means the need for
documentation has perhaps reduced but certainly not eliminated. If a
piece of software I install doesn't have a help file, it's instant
deinstall and no correspondence will be entered into.