yumex and memory

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmx.de
Sat Oct 1 13:18:11 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 01.10.2005, 09:15 +0200 schrieb Axel Thimm:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 08:08:50PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 30.09.2005, 10:03 -0600 schrieb Robin Laing:
> >
> > > I would try smartpm but there is no FC4 version.
> >
> > http://www.atrpms.net/dist/fc4/smart/
> >
> > But be careful: I found the medley-package-config package required by
> > this package to be very annoying. I hat working apt and yum config files
> > before and medley-package-config produced a lot of errors that I had to
> > fix by hand.
>
> The medley-package-config is not required for smart, you can use
> atrpms-package-config also.
>
> The medley-package-config is a very complete set of repos that are
> being offered uncensored for your own (de)activation settings. If you
> want to use an arbitrary set of repos of your choice install
> medley-pcakge-config and deactive the repos you don't need/want.

It's not about (de)activating one or the other repo but about duplicate
entries and conflicting files. Example: A fresh fedora install with
medley-package-config will result in the following yum error/warning:

> Repository updates-testing is listed more than once in the configuration
> Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration

"extras" is already defined in fedora-extras.repo from fedora-release,
it's defined again in fedoraextras.repo from medley-package-config. With
atrpms-package-config "updates-testing" still has a duplicate entry, since
it is already defined in fedora.repo and again in base.repo from your
package.

And there are more duplicates, that are not causing error messages (for
the channel has a different name) but slow down yum(ex) a lot:
- "release" from base.repo is "base" in fedora.repo
- "updates" in base.repo is "updates-released" fedora.repo

I remember someone on the german fedora-list complained that one of
your *-package-config packages screwed up up2date. I hope now you see
why I warned the OP about your medley-package-config.

IMHO all your *-package-config rpms should ether be _fully_ compatible
at least to fedora-release (since it is part of a core install, maybe
livna-release, too) or smart/apt from your repo should not depend on them.

Just my two eurocents

Christoph

P.S.: Nether medley-package-config nor atrpms-package-config are listed
at www.atrpms.net.