OSX- Fedora network problem

Eric Johns eric at huscarls.com
Sat Oct 1 15:23:45 UTC 2005

first let me describe the setup I have.

I have an G3 ibook running 10.3.9 using an airport card which is
connected to a Netgear router. The Desktop is running Fedora 4 and is
connected to the router via an ethernet cable. Firewalls are turned off
and I'm using samba, To cap this off I am rather new to Linux and
networking.

Using the desktop I can see my home directory on the ibook and do
everything I want (that part is great)
while on the ibook I can connect to the Desktop I can ssh, ftp with no
problem but I can not see the home directory on the desktop. Every now
and then I see in the Network folder an icon for the desktop computer
but it's faded and when I click on it I get "The alias "ODEN" could not
be opened, because the original item cannot be found" when I try to
connect to the server with the address smb://username@ipaddress/share I
get "could not connect to server because the name or password is not
correct"

I have searched the net looking for an answer, but I guess the problem
is with me and not a bug because it seems I am the only person who has
this problem.

Any ideas on how this idiot can fix it ... :)
thanks