Fedora 4 Needed / Unneeded packages

Randall J. Berry lrx.lists at verizon.net
Sun Oct 2 10:29:28 UTC 2005

	Hello,

I've been messing about with Fedora Core 4 for a few months now. On my
first install I just clicked 'everything' and let it roll. Now I've
gotten to know which packages I need and which I don't need. I'm
contemplating doing a wipe and reload based on these findings. I've
noticed one thing tho. There seems to be some packages that are not
removable from the install options and a ton of packages that to the
best of my knowledge I never use. Yet I seem to be stuck installing
them anyway due to the endless loop of dependencies or simply no
option to turn them off at install. Even after install when trying to
remove packages I don't need I seem to get stuck in the same infinite
dependency loop. Typical examples are Evolution, and the Mozilla suite
I never use. I use F~bird and T~Bird instead. Yet I can't seem get rid
of them! These are just a few examples there are many more.

I'm trying to set up a typical graphical/multimedia Gnome Desktop with
the full suite of developmental packages such as GCC, Automake,
gnome-devel and the like. Server Admin and a limited amount server
requirements. HTTPd, MySQL, POP/IMAP, SMTP, SPAMd, ClamAV and FTPd. As
well as Webmin and an IRCd with Services. (added after install)

The Server features are used strictly for local development before
sending them to remote servers for public access. Yet I'm stuck
installing tons of other packages like PostgreSQL, is just one example
of those that seem to be dead weight.

I know I'm stepping out on a limb here but is there any easy way to
install what I need and get rid of what I don't need? An install
method that does not require constant babysitting to install each
package manually. Can this be done?

TIA