Sendmail delays

Grant Ozolins grant.ozolins at firebox.com
Mon Oct 3 11:24:53 UTC 2005

Jay Lee wrote:

> Grant Ozolins wrote:
>
>> Jay Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like DNS to me.  Even if sendmail is configured to accept
>>> unresolvable domains, it's going to sit there a long time waiting.
>>> What does:
>>>
>>> nslookup `hostname`
>>>
>>> return?  I'm not sure if sendmail uses /etc/hosts but try adding the
>>> output of hostname to /etc/hosts on the same line as "127.0.0.1
>>> localhost localhost.localdomain"
>>>
>>> Jay
>>

>> Thanks so much for your reply - I do actually have my hostname in
>> /etc/hosts - the wierd thing to me is that (I should have mentioned
>> in my previous post) I was getting no such delay on FC3-32 on the
>> same hardware - but with FC3-x86_64 the delay is present.
>

> Did you run the command?  What was the output?

Hi Jay,

(thankyou very much for taking an interest in my issue - if however you
would prefer me to not reply to your personal email also please tell me
- I will absolutely respect that - Grant)

The output of nslookup `hostname` is the exepected hostname and IP
address (obfuscated here for reasons of commercial paranoia)

[root at sv6 mail]# nslookup `hostname `
Server:         195.40.1.250
Address:        195.40.1.250#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   server.firebox.com
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I've added the name to the loopback line in /etc/hosts, but no luck so far.

--
Grant Ozolins <grant.ozolins at firebox.com>
Firebox.com