Logs

micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Tue Oct 4 03:20:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 18:44 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 1:28 AM -0500 10/3/05, micheal wrote:
> >On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 02:53 -0300, Franck Y wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> What are the main file (logs), that I sould check if the computer is
> >>going well
> >> .
> >>

> >> --
> >> Franck
> >>

> >basically all the log files are in /var/logs
>
> Logwatch sends an email to root each day summarizing anything it thinks is
> interesting (or rather, that it doesn't believe is uninteresting).  You'd
> need to log in as root and read the mail; maybe someone here has a better
> approach.
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

Here is what I have done.  Edit /etc/aliases as root. Around the last
line of the file there is something similiar to

  # Person who should get root's mail
	root:			micheal

I have it going to my local spool, however you can edit this with any
e-mail address you wish.

After you are done. run the command newaliases as root.

Now all you have to do is check the mail for the e-mail you have set up
as an 'alias' for root, and you are set.

Micheal