How do I start/stop display manager

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Tue Oct 4 14:25:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:47 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 10:39 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > >
> > > What you are looking for is called run levels.
> > >
> > > "init 3" for Text Mode
> > > "init 5" for GUI
> >
> > Oh I see. I guess it's quite different than Mandrake then.
> > Because if I understand it correctly, if we do the init 3/5 command, it will
> > affect other services too, right? I mean, will other services be restarted if
> > I do init 3 from init 5?
> ----
> yes, they will shutdown per /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/Kxx-?????
>
> and they will start up per /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/Sxx-?????
>
> the prefdm is started on runlevel 5
>
> tail -n 2 /etc/inittab
> # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Just a fine point clarification.....

When you transition from one run level to another, i.e. from runlevel 5
to 3, then yes, as Craig stated, it will stop any "currently running
services" that are declared to not be running in the destination
runlevel.  It will also start any services that are "not currently
running".  But, and this is the fine point, if a service is already
running, and the destination runlevel says that it should be running,
then it "does nothing".  So services are NOT "restarted" when you change
runlevels.....  But, if you change runlevels "twice" (a back and forth),
and the one in the middle said to stop it, and the last one said to
start it, then yes it would, in effect, restart that particular service.

Just a little nit <big grin>

--Rob